Thursday, November 8, 2012

Thursday, Nov. 8

If you could have any job (and instantly have the training and qualifications
to do it), which job would you want?

My first thought in response to this question was "any job except the one I
currently have". But that's not completely true, because I could definitely
get a worse job than what I have right now.

Truthfully, I would love to be able to write full-time. I just don't make
enough money at it right now to be able to quit my job and stay at home.
Writing is a tough business to break into. There are a lot of clients who
don't want to pay anything, yet they expect high-quality writing.
High-quality writing and low pay just don't cut it for most writers. There
are those who are willing to make next to nothing, and they make it harder
for writers who won't accept low pay to get good gigs.

And, it seems to me anyway, the majority of writers who do get good gigs
can't write. To me, writing includes using good grammar, spelling,
punctuation and proofreading. Yet I see article after article where there are
numerous errors. It's not just online writing either. I read my local
newspaper primarily for the laughs, because there is at least one article in
every issue that is full of errors. Usually, there's more than one.

Sadly, kids today are not being taught how to write. They are barely being
taught how to spell. Working at a school, I see so many grammatical and
spelling errors every day, and those come from the teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment